Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Baby This Verses That: Finger nail clippers

 I find myself getting several different types of the same baby product to see what works for us.  I use the “Baby This Verses That” blog title to share what products I have personal experience with and the details on each.  There are no sponsored products in any of my posts unless noted. 

 

I hate cutting a baby’s nails;  I used to cut Grant’s while he nursed but that no longer works. So one thing that can make the biggest difference is having the right nail clippers.  I have owned three types of baby nail clippers but one was returned and one was banished to the emergency kit in the car. 

 

The products I have are by Safety 1st, Sassy, and Graco. 

 

The Safety 1st Nail Clippers $2.99-$3.99 (and often part of a set as well):  Our favorite, by far!  This thick soft handled design allows for better grip and less fumbling when your hand gets shooed away.  The lever end is coated in the same soft plastic which makes it easier to push down on to clip and folds into the handle where my one year can’t open it back up.  With the other clippers, the handle would not sit as flat and I would have a minor freak out if Grant tried to use it as a toy.  With these clippers, they cut easily and should Grant get a hold of them (when they are closed) I don’t make a seen by grabbing them from him since he can’t be hurt.  I have two different models, one has a slit in the back side opposite the blade to inset a mini nail file and the other one does not-either version is great.  I found the clipper/filer version on the clearance rack once for a $1.25 a pair and I may have purchased six of them.  I have two open at our house and have already passed on two for baby gifts.

 

Sassy’s Lady Bug infant clippers $3.99:  I purchased these for the cuteness factor and it backfired.  The head of the lady bug shield the clipper so you don’t cut too deep but I found it to be a pain.  The plastic lady bug case over the clippers wasn’t molded correctly and the top and bottom piece were coming apart at the seam.  When I tried to cut his nails the plastic would click and I couldn’t get near his nails.  After calling the company, they said a lot of people couldn’t figure out how to use the product but normally there wasn’t anything wrong with it.  I explained at minimum the molding should not be coming apart and I was offered a mailing label to send back the product.  I was able to use the credit to purchase another Sassy item and the customer service was great, just not the nail clippers for us!

 

Graco’s goldfish nail clippers (part of their Zoo themed grooming kits)$12.99-$20:  Again, I registered for the Zoo Baby Care Kit and this was a product that was in it.  The plastic gold fish end does not interfere with the clipping motion unlike Sassy’s Lady Bug clippers.  The metal is exposed on the end and the clippers do the job while you have a still finger, should that ever happen.  I can clip Grant’s nail with these but it seems to be more of a struggle.  The metal push down lever is thin and short.  This makes it hard to line everything up just right before any movement happens.  I find myself to pushing hard enough the first time and having to make a second cut.  I have since put these in the car’s emergency diaper kit so if it is needed for a hang nail on the road, it will be used but it will never be the one I use to trim up all 10 little moving fingernails ever again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment