Sunday, August 11, 2013

Crafty: outdoor name stone

My sister will celebrate her wedding shower this Saturday and I wanted to make something for her.  I saw this perfect river cobblestone at the local greenhouse and decided I would personalize it for their home with her upcoming married last name.  This is easy and pretty inexpensive...don't worry sis, I have something else too since I just told the world this gift is cheap...

What you will need:

A rock with a pretty flat surface for painting
A stencil if you what assistance with the letters (no shame here, I proudly used a stencil!)
A pencil to outline your lines in advance (I found it erases well and isn't noticeable)
Craft paint for outdoor use
Fine point paint brushes (I have a $7 ten piece nylon set that I have been using for years...until half of them "ran away" today in my little's hands)

A couple years back, I found a rock in my back yard that I hit every time I mowed. I dug it up and made one if these for my front stoop.  It sits right up next to the house so I didn't put anything on it other than the paint. I just touched up the paint these past spring and it still looks great.



To get started:

Wash the rock and allow to dry

Stencil your design, letters, name, sports logo, whatever in pencil on the flattest side of the rock

Fill in the pencil outlines with paint and allow to dry

Depending on the location where you want to place the stone, you may want to consider the option of adding a sealer

Well, we will see if she finds this post before next Saturday...here are my final pictures:




1 comment: