Friday, August 9, 2013

Five on Friday

Like many people out there I am once again linking up for the Five on Friday with some awesome host bloggers ….  Here are my five on Friday:

One.

Down time- I LOVE having company and I LOVE my downtime after they leave!  Sunday at five o’clock was when my Thursday company left and with the husband playing golf, the kiddo and I napped until 7pm.  The entire mess (which wasn’t bad, I have good company…) was left for another day as I sat on the couch without doing anything-no TV, Facebook, candy crushing, Pinterest, or blogging.  It was so nice.  You can imagine from shots of this one minute clip I took what some of the weekend with like with five adults and four littles…mine are the big kid (aka hubby) wrestling the kids on the floor and the little guy trying to wear the Wii remote/numchuck combo as a necklace.  For some reason the little girl was just rolling around on a big pillow and one of the boys actually was in Grant's toy box...hilarious to watch.  Wish I knew how to do the video option! 


Two.

The Iowa State Fair!  For ten days in August Iowa welcomes over one million visitors for the fair.  It is great people watching let me tell you.  I am going on Saturday with the family including Grant’s nana, aunt, and uncle.  Food on a stick and fried food here we come!  I am super excited that Grant will be able to enjoy it this year.  Here are some photos from last year when Grant was just about three weeks old. 


Three.

Teething Remedies.  Grant has been crabby lately and I noticed that  he has gotten three new teeth with a possibility of # 4 and 5 soon.  Grant teethes in multiples 1 &2, 3/4/5/6/7, and now 8/9/10- we are talking all popping through in days.  Ouch!  Grant does not like those tethers or mesh feeders with frozen food but I have found three things that work great for us:  Hylands Teething Tablets, First Years John Deere Massaging Corn Tether, andCamilia Teething Relief.  The tablets were a recommendation and work great but I see nearly immediate results with the Camilia Teething Relief.  Camilia is a liquid that can be purchased in single use doses for on the go.  We found them in our monthly baby box subscription from Stork Stack and love them!  They must taste good because Grant will open for it mid-cry.  The vibrating tether was too cute to pass up (being shaped like an ear of corn-I live in Iowa…) and the gummy yellow corn ear vibrates when he bites down.  It is distracting and surprising quiet for my one year old.

Links for all three below:





Four.

Grilling season.  My husband told me if I have it ready to go on the grill, he will cook it!  I love those words, not having to do much for dinner- yay!  I would seriously made every meal on there if I could but we are loving grilling veggies right now.  Last year we grilled meat and the occasional potato but we made an investment of a grill pan for veggies and fruit.  He is out there anyway, why not give him the whole meal….

Our favorite is chunks of yellow pepper, red pepper, snap peas, onion, and green beans with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  One quick note: toss in the oil on or next to the grill, if your grill pan is like mine putting oil on in the house just leaves a trail of oil dips out to the grill.

Five.

W.  I just noticed that the next book in the Sue Grafton’s mystery series “W is for Wasted” comes out September 3rd!  If you haven’t heard of Sue Grafton’s alphabet series, you must look it up.  There are plenty of books to catch up on as she is three letters from finishing.  I have been waiting on the releases since the letter “S” and now am just debating whether to buy in print or on my Kindle…Time is short these days with a little one running around but I will make time for this!



Thanks for stopping by,

Holland

2 comments:

  1. stopping over from the link-up! I totally agree about company, so fun having them but something about the quietness after they leave is peaceful. And i love food on a stick from the fair, my favorite is the deep-fried snickers! Have fun with your fam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from Kentucky and the state fair is a big deal. Love the hustle and bustle of company and the peace when they leave...it is like the perfect combination.

    Katelyn
    http://the-imperfect-perfection.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete