Sunday, August 25, 2013

Homemade Alfredo Sauce


I love pasta and my husband thinks the traditional “red sauce” is to plain.  I have yet to find a store brought Alfredo sauce that I like and before this recipe an easy one that didn’t involve cream soup bases.  My sister Chrystal had me make this for a family get together and everyone loved it!  It is super easy and doesn’t turn into a separated mess upon re-heating like my Olive Garden favorite, which I still gladly eat it!
 
What to buy:
 
1 tbs butter
1 pack cream cheese (soften melts quicker, I put mine on the counter 30-45 minutes before I need it)
1 bag shredded parmesan cheese (6-8oz depending on store and personal preference)
Pint of half and half
¼ tsp ground white pepper
1tsp garlic powder
1tbs parsley
 
Combine in sauce pan.  Cook over med heat and stir constantly to prevent burning. 
 
The ingredients will melt together and thicken.  Serve over pasta.
 
Extras to add:    Shrimp, chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, grilled veggies, cayenne pepper, bacon-the possibilities are endless!
 
Leftovers idea (should you have any):    The sauce thickens and  is spreadable like mayo.   I haven’t tried it, no leftovers here but I think it would be great on a grilled sandwich as a spread!  Like a Roasted pepper and eggplant panini with an alfredo spread or a plain grilled ham and cheese with the sauce as the cheese.  Yummy!  I will update you all when I try this but I am sure hungry for it now!
 
Thanks for stopping by!







No comments:

Post a Comment