Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Living room make-over

My husband built our house back when I was finishing college two hours away and we were still in our dating phase.  Needless to say, having your first house be brand new is great but I feel that I missed out on picking things out and making it mine.  The ranch style house has two  colors beige and lighter beige on the main floor.  I honestly didn’t know that there were even two different colors until I tried to touch up a couple of spots-oops!  My husband is in the mindset that everything is new so nothing needs changed.  Well, the house is now seven years old and I have changed a couple rooms out of the beige flat builder’s paint.  The first was our master bathroom and then the nursery and last month some of the living room. 

 

My husband also hates hanging things on the wall, it is like pulling teeth.  It’s not like he can’t do it, he is a carpenter!  I have so many frames, mirrors, and pieces of artwork that I would love to put on the many blank walls.  In April I removed our wedding photos from one wall and spent four hours on hanging six 10*13  photos of Grant.  It was ok but I wanted more. 

 

My neighbor encouraged me that the high vaulted ceilings wouldn’t be that bad to paint but I could start with one wall that did not have the extended height.  I went to the store and found a framed painting that had beautiful colors, picked up a gallon of bold blue paint, and a warm chocolate brown for some accents.   I had the project priced and it was going to be $500! Or 1200 for the whole room not including paint-NO thank you!  A day off of work, some neighbor assistance, and buying her lunch was what it took-way better than $500! 

 

We painted the one wall blue, an arch above the fireplace brown, and brown on the half wall w/arch at the bar.  It turned out great.  This was a surprise to my husband; he came home and it was  98% complete.  He was fine with us doing this since he didn’t have to help but was not the fondest of the blue. 

 

I picked up a couple of accent pillow cases, colored photo frames, and 4 mirrors at Hobby Lobby to mix in more color to the room.  Another neighbor is great at decorating and with a bottle of Vodka for a thank you gift, she came over and hung it all up.  I gave her stacks of things for the walls and picked out a couple “must be in this room” items.  She arranged them on the floor and got my approval before getting out her hammer, nails, and lazar level. 

 

I love this makeover!  I feel like it made a huge difference and love that it was done in time for Grant’s first birthday party.

 

Cost breakdown:             $55 Paint and supplies; $42 painting; $40 mirrors; $10 two pillow cases; $22  four colored photo frames; $6 new clock

 

                                                Total: $175 (not including the Jimmy Johns lunch or bottle of vodka)      


Thanks for stopping by,

Holland 



No comments:

Post a Comment