Saturday, July 20, 2013

Runza Casserole

RUNZA Casserole-Easy, quick supper with no condensed soup!

 

One of my favorite easy casseroles is this “Runza” pie.  Runza is a fast food restaurant in Nebraska or maybe it’s just Omaha- I am not sure.  Anyway, they are famous for their different stuffed rolls called you guessed it – Runzas.  Well, these recipe was shared by a friend (and just maybe the only loyal reader I have- thanks for your support Sara!)

 

It is super easy, cheap,  and yummy! (And adaptable, try it with numerous combinations of fillings.)

 

You will need:    1lbs ground meat (I use ground beef)

                                1 small onion diced

                                2 cups (or a smaller head of green cabbage) chopped/shredded/diced just small pieces

                                1tbs Italian herbs seasoning or your favorite mix-mine is Lawery’s and parsley ½ tbs each

                                ½ tsp black pepper

                                1 can of crescent rolls

                                1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

 

Optional:             Two shredded/tiny diced carrot or ¼ cup

                               

 

Brown the meat.  (for me, I cook lean meat in ½ c water and there is no need to drain)

When mostly finished, add in the seasoning, onion, cabbage, and carrots.

Sautee until soft.  (I would recommend covering and letting it sit on medium-low for 8-10 minutes.)

 

Get out a 8*8 or 9*9 square baking pan (my favorite is glass Pyrex)

Spray with Pam/cooking spray.

Unroll the crescent rolls and divide dough in half.  (I get the 8 per can option so four form a nice square right out of the can.)

Line the bottom of the pan with half of the dough.

Spread your filling mixture on top of the dough.

Sprinkle your cheese over the filling.

Top with the remaining half of the dough.

Bake until the crescent rolls are brown and cooked through.  375 for 30 should do it!

 

It turns out great every time for us.  Last time I was in Omaha, NE I went to Runza and was disappointed that my sandwich wasn’t as good as this recipe.  I guess nothing beats home cooking unless you don’t have to make it or clean it up! J

 

Sorry there is not a final photo!  I will add one next time I cook it, it seriously disappeared to fast!



Thanks for stopping by,


Holland 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment