Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blogtember day 6

Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn:

I am a very loyal employee.  Leaving most jobs because I moved out of that city, so the first time I left a job was a big deal.  It was my first big job post college and I had been promoted into a bigger position that a nabbed myself.  One day I was a counselor watching the manager being walked out by HR and that night I wrote the department head a letter about how I would be perfect for the job.  I got that job too, slight raise, and a pager (yes, a pager-they were behind the times until I asked for a cell instead!)

It was great for a while, I gave it everything I and soared with responsibility.  I was able to help turn things around and make some changes.  Things started to change, I was working all the time, answering on calls around the clock, and my best co-workers were all talking about leaving.  Our supervisor supported our ideas one minute and would bash them during staff meetings.

I struggled for several weeks on what to do and when one person left, it wasn't the same.  I was really unhappy and leaving without another job didn't seem like an option.  My fiancé told me just to quit, go back to school, do whatever I wanted.  A couple weeks later  I turned in my papers, keys, and that stupid on call phone. 

I made a decision not to be somewhere that didn't make me happy.  I took a couple of business courses at the community college, worked a golf course, and took a temp position at a government hospital.  That decision was big for me and in turn I got on a great path in the end.  That temp job landed me an internship and six years later, I enjoy where I work and the benefits are great.

It was so hard taking that leap but I got through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment