Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 1: Blogtember Link up over at Story of My Life

Tuesday, Sept. 3: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.

In May, I got half way through the blogging challenge in May and despite "falling off the bandwagon" it got me blogging more.  Jenni at http://storyofmylifetheblog.blogspot.com I am going to give it another try, not promising every day but here it goes....


Day 1:

Tuesday, Sept. 3: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.

I am a Nebraska born, Iowa raised thirty year old wife and mamma of one.  I grew up with one older sister and two younger sisters (and a baby brother who come along in high school) on an acreage in the middle of no where.  Growing up 1.25 miles north of a town with 8-12 houses, we thought we were pretty special when we rode our bikes to the only place to buy a pop-an old pop machine in front of a place that sold gain.

This town has an old bath tub with a sign that says "community pool" and with no business other than a gain bin storage facility-it was a great place to make some memories.  Our father would let us drive home from the corner which meant monitored steering but to a young girl it felt like you owned the world. 

With one other house on our road, it didn't make for an eventful neighborhood trick or treating at Halloween but we had a lot of freedom and performed a lot of "child labor."  I don't remember really eating out until my mom was pregnant with my little brother and had a "McDonalds" phase.  I remember having to make our own fun: jumping out of the barn window, playing in creeks, picking fruit of trees, riding our bikes, and playing in the attic.

My dad was mechanic that made sure his girls knew how to change their own oil or a flat tire.  We got our first jobs shortly after turning 14 and worked for the right to have a car.  Because of all this, I grew up knowing I could be independent.



No comments:

Post a Comment