Monday, December 2, 2013

Good-bye old friend...RIP pacifiers

As I sit hear writing this, my little one is screaming in his crib.  He missed his last nap and if that alone wasn't hard enough it is night number two without his pacifier.

Grant hasn't gotten his pacifier outside the crib or car seat (longer trips) since he was 11 months.  I wanted to pull the paci at one year but it didn't happen.  I was weak...and I gave in.  He isn't sleeping with with pacifier all night long just to calm down enough to fall asleep.  He will get in the crib and search for his paci, once he found it he would pop it in his mouth and lay peacefully.  

Greg and I talked about how hard it was going to be to get rid of and on the two hour drive home from Thanksgiving yesterday, I cut off the tip of his paci.  We gave it to him and watched him twist the thing around in his mouth, trying to make it fit right for 40 minutes.  It was pretty cute...I couldn't help spy on him in the mirror taking it in and out, staring at it, and twisting it around.  He cried some and fell asleep with the broken one hanging out of his mouth.  

Nap time yesterday was hard too. Fifteen minutes of crying and consoling to lay back down eventually got us a two hour nap.  The first night routine was the same bath, bed, sippy, but no paci.  Grant cried for fifteen minutes than was silent for ten...we thought he went to sleep but we got ten more minutes of soft sobs with him laying down in the crib before he slept all night.  

Day one over...not to bad....it still broke my heart to hear those cries but today I failed.  I had the opportunity to have Grant preoccupied when I dropped him off at daycare this morning and I took it.  I 
set him down and he went over to a little baby that was crying and I left without saying bye, causing a scene, or needing his teacher to peel him off of my leg crying.  

I had a plan to speak to the teacher about the no paci change and take what they had home with me....I forgot and it caused both Grant and I more pain.  He had two naps with a paci at daycare-so much for our progress yesterday!  

Fast forward bedtime right now, he spent ten minutes crying before the hubs went in, calmed him down, rubbed his back, and gave him kisses.  My sister told us just to go cold turkey and hearing him cry is hard.  I want to run in and give him a paci but know it will be a distant memory soon enough.  

The cries are louder now followed by a couple sheiks then nothing...28 minutes in now...

It's quiet now...I can't see any movement on the video monitor...hopefully this crying period will get shorter each sleep time and I can report back with some good news soon.

Thinking ahead- I'm not sure what to do in the car for longer trips, I swore I didn't want a video player but I completely understand it is probably just as good for the parents' sanity as the child!

Any suggestions welcome...

Happy December to all! 

Holland



No comments:

Post a Comment