Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Why can't a girl get a free "who-ha" exam, it's bad enough I shouldn't have to pay too!

Twice this week I have had questions regarding an amount a doctor visit costed me and I not only spoke up twice but was right both times!

Insurance is very confusing and with Obamacare forcing some healthcare changes (won't say my beliefs on good or bad...) it won't be getting any easier.  I chose many times to go green and get electronic statements but when I had the option for my health insurance explanation of benefits papers (EOB) I declined.  I want to physically hold in my hand what was charged to insurance and what it is going to cost me.  I know I can look them up online but I wouldn't do it every time nor keep track of the whole family's appointments to look it up after each visit.  The paper versions are my best option.

I worked in Human Resources next to the benefits lady for six years and I thought I knew my plan well.  I was shocked to be told I owed $35 for a Pap smear/ women's exam.  I questioned it there at the office but was told otherwise.  It didn't sit well so today I got out my insurance book and found my answer: "pay nothing for an annual physical and covered preventive screenings."  Well I would say I went in for the exam as a preventive measure- it sure as hell wasn't for fun.  

I called the office back and after explaining and reading the some sentence to the lady four times, I was told that I would have a $35 credit on my account.  The second time was a different bill that was $21 more than normal. 

My lesson to share is don't be afraid to second guess charges, if it doesn't sit right look it up, call your insurance, and/or ask for someone else to help you- it just might save you money or get you better educated on your benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment